Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Construction Paper Papel Picado


Recently a friend asked me for some ideas for a kids Dia de los Muertos craft project. First thing that came to my head was Papel Picado. I remember learning how to make Papel Picado when I was around 10 years old. My mom took me to a workshop at Texas A&I Kingsville, the guest artist teaching was Carmen Lomas Garza. I've been a huge fan of hers ever since.
Yesterday my oldest son was out of school recovering from a stomach bug. I decided to teach him how to cut Papel Picado banners. This was also a perfect way to test the patterns I drew up for the children's workshop. I simplified the process to make it kid friendly. We used construction paper and scissors instead of the standard tissue paper and x-acto knife. I'm proud to say that my son did an awesome job following directions and cutting out the design. I was afraid that it would be too complicated.

 If you'd like to make your own Papel Picado banners here's what you'll need:
Construction paper (tissue paper if you are more experienced)
Scissors (X-acto knife)
String (ribbon, yarn, twine, or anything else you'd like)
Pattern (print the ones below if you'd like)



Step1:
Fold your paper in half. (landscape folded in half)

Step 2:
Trace design onto paper.

Step 3:
Cut the negative space (shown in white on the provided patterns.)

Step 4:
Cut notches on upper edge and string ribbon through.

Step 5:
Hang and enjoy!



4 comments:

  1. OMG..I love them. i was just thinking about Papel Picado also! I wanted to do some and I guess no more excuses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome tutorial! I cant wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have any suggestions about how to make such small cuts with a scissors? Did your son only use scissors?

    ReplyDelete